Mullu Murukku – Ingredients
Rice flour – 2 cups
Urad dal flour – 1/2 cup
Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
Asaefoetida – a pinch
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Unsalted butter/ Dalda – 3 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – for frying
1. In a heavy bottomed pan, dry roast the urad dal flour on a very low flame till it gets a light brown colour. You can also roast urad dal and powder it.
2. To this add the rice flour, sesame seeds and cumin seeds.
3. Add the butter/dalda to the above mixture. Mix it with the flour. The warmth from the hands will melt it.
4. Add little water and mix to from a dough. The dough should have the right consistency to pass through the murukku press. If the dough is too thick it wont pass very easily. If it is too thin proper shape wont be formed.
5. With the help of a murukku press/mould, make the desired shape on a greased plastic sheet. You can make th murukku in different shapes as shown in the picture.
6. Remove it gently from the plastic sheet and fry it in a pan of hot oil.
7. You can directly press the dough into the oil instead of making a shape in a plastic sheet to get a more rustic shape.
8. Fry till they turn golden brown in colour. Drain the excess oil using a paper towel
9. Store in air tight container and enjoy for many days.