- Beaten Rice – 1 cup (poha/atukulu/aval)
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Dry coconut powder – 2 heaped tbsps
- Cashew nuts – 7-8, broken into pieces
- Almonds – 6-7, sliced fine
- Ghee – 1/2 tbsp
- Wash the beaten rice/poha well and drain. Sprinkle 2 tbsps of water over the beaten rice and keep aside for 10 mts.
- Heat a small pan with ghee, add the broken cashew nuts and almonds and roast them to a golden brown and turn off flame. Pour the nuts along with left over ghee to a small bowl. Add dry coconut powder and cardamom powder to the bowl and keep aside.
- Heat 1/2 cup water, add the grated jaggery, allow it to melt and bring to a boil. Reduce to low flame and cook the jaggery to softball consistency, apporx 8-10 mts. When you place a little jaggery syrup in a cup of water, it will form a soft ball. Turn off flame at this stage.
- Add the drained beaten rice to the dry coconut-roasted nuts mixture and mix well. Add this mixture to the jaggery syrup and mix well such that the contents are well combined.
- Remove to a serving bowl and serve garnish with roasted nuts.